mercredi, septembre 06, 2006

Soup a l'Oignon Gratinee

Let me confess, this recipe is word for word from The Paris Cafe Cookbook by Daniel Young page 13.


Scanned from the 1st Paris scrapbook, We sit waiting for our Soup a l'Oignon.

Feet throbbing, stomachs growling and spirits completely intimidated by the throngs of trendy young people (no younger than us, mind you) spilling out onto the sidewalks in front of every cafe and pub in the Latin Quarter. All we wanted was to sit down and savor the moment. It was our first trip to Paris and every moment was to be remembered. We spotted a quiet little bistro, no bumping bass coming from inside. Only empty tables and a chalk board menu. Six years ago my French skills were not what they are today. I scanned a scribbled menu in search of "Soup a l'Oignon" . The curly-Q font of French handwriting throwing me off every, now and again. Is that a "one" or a "seven"...how is it that they all seem to have identical handwriting? Thanks to Napoleon I am sure. The word "onion" was no where to be found on this little menu, propped up against the entry way but the place was quiet and "vide" and the patron seemed pleased to invite us in. I inquired about the soup, "S'il vous plait. Avez-vous soup a l'Oignon" With much regret our waiter (who seemed to be on very good terms with the owner) informed me that they did not have my much coveted onion soup. I understood, it was afterall not on the menu and around eleven in the evening. We requested two more minutes so I could decide what to order. Before those two minutes where up our waiter came back and with a gentle enthusiasm that I did not expect to encounter in our "garcon" (he is not to be called that of course!) he announced that they had found what they needed and could "whip me up a bowl." Ok, he didn't say it just like that but a short time later a piping hot bowl of "French Onion Soup" as we call it Stateside came out and to my delight, it was wonderful! Imagine my joy a few years later when I followed this recipe for the first time only to discover it tasted JUST LIKE the bowl I had on my first trip to Paris, late one evening somewhere in the Latin Quarter.

You will need:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 pounds of onions, thinly sliced (and some waterproof mascara!)
2 tablespoons of flour 1 quart of water 1 cup of DRY white wine
1 bouquet garni (thyme, parsley, bay leaf tied up with twine)

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 baguette sliced amd toasted

1/2 pound Gruyere or Imported Swiss cheese, shredded


Preheat oven to 325 F. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and cook, stirring untiil golden color sets in. 8 to 10 minutes. Add the flour and stir with onions for 3 minutes. Add the water, white wine and bouquet garni and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni, add salt and pepper to taste, and then pour the soup into 4 oven-proof bowls. Dunk the rounds of toast into each bowl of soup sprinkle liberally with the shredded Gruyere. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then set under a hot broiler to brown the top.

Bon Appetit!

Let me know how you enjoyed your Soup a l'oignon experience!

5 commentaires:

Farmgirl Cyn a dit…

Now THIS I could do!
ps....my 14 year old daughter Avery(aka Ave) and I will be studying French this school year via "Power Glide French". I simply could not afford to take the class offered to other homeschoolers at this present time, so did the next best thing, and ordered this course thru our local homeschool resource center. I have heard nothing but good things concerning said course, and, in fact,may be burning enough copies to send one to savvycity....maybe one day we could all go to Paris!!!! (your mom would go if we could find a way to get her there without having to fly!!!!!)CALL ME!!!
LOVE the recipe blog, and am looking forward to the books!!!

weirdbunny a dit…

Oh I just love onion soup, and of course I love paris too, and canne and brittany, in fact I just love france!

weirdbunny a dit…

To parrisienne farm girl
Your going on my side bar right now!
LOve Julia x (weirdbunny)

kansasrose a dit…

Hey "parisfarmeress" that rhymes by the way...thanks for leaving the sweet comment, I will be visitng here often! Great blog and recipes ala francophile....I love French style too. I also adore your profile...a sweats kinda chic is my kinda farmgirl! By the way...I love your paint work and designs! I especially noticed that kitchen cabinet redo from dark wood to white distressed...I told my DH about this..I said I have GOT to thave this done to my dated dark walnut cabinets...he said and I quote..."you'll do what you want to do...I can't stop you..." he is such an adamnet dark wood lover.:O Wish you lived closer to KS...If I could figure out how to put my fav blogs on the sidebar YOU would be there! Are you related to Joy? (savvycityfarmer) Your paint style and look reminds me of her....such talented gals you are! xxoo Kansasrose

Barbara Jacksier a dit…

Dear Farmgirl.Having just returned from Paris, I was looking for a good onion soup recipe and came across yours. I then spent the rest of the morning exploring your blogs.
I am working on a decorating book (Cozy Waterside Cottages)for Gibbs Smith that is due in August and have started planning a second volume (Cozy Romantic Cottages. I would love to photograph your home for the second book. Please get in touch with me at jacksier@aol.com. You can view my Book Blog at www.barbarajacksier.com